Barkingside, Essex – April 1928


Irene was nearly knocked off her feet by a flurry of skirts and aprons. She steadied herself against the door of the cottage she had just entered. The flurry resolved itself into Peggy who was now talking a mile-a-minute and madly hugging her friend.

“You won’t believe it! You just won’t believe what’s happened! Mother said yes. She said yes! After what happened at the Albert Hall, and then she said no, and then I sent her a letter begging to go, and then her new husband wrote and said no again…” Peggy finally paused for breath and spoke very distinctly. “She said yes. I. Am. Going. To. Australia!”

The noise started again as the two young women squealed and hugged each other, bouncing up and down like the kangaroos they hoped to be seeing soon.  

“When did you find out?”

“Just now. The Governor showed me the letter herself.” Peggy pursed her lips impersonating Louisa’s nasal tones. “’I am writing to say at last we give consent to M. M. Gutteridge going abroad.’ She said I must come back if I don’t like it. But of course we’ll like it, won’t we Irene?”

“Course we will. Oh, I’m so pleased you’re coming too. It wouldn’t have been the same…” Some important fact suddenly dawned on Irene and her eyes opened wide. “But the ship leaves in just two days, Peggy.”

“I know.” She picked up the skirts and aprons from the floor. “I’m already packing.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patrick Joyce. Convict.

Barkingside, Essex - December, 1925

Delegate NSW, August 1931